Monday, September 27, 2010

The 90 year old Chinese Lady

Sometimes in life you never know, how, when and why you might just impress a stranger!
This incident took place; let me think, I suppose three years back. I was on my way to Brunei to meet my parents; after all, I was on a holiday after a long time! I had never thought that life was going to throw my way an encounter at my usual stopover on Singapore airport (my second home.....is what I call it!)!
While waiting for my connecting flight, I decided to grab a snack at the 24 hour food court (my usual eat out adda at the airport). I don’t know why, but I always end up munching a bite at the Indian counter there known as ‘Kaveri’. It’s not that other cuisines don’t attract me or anything, but it just feels like home away from home. Anyways let’s get back to the table where I was sitting, waiting for my order.
Some faces just seem to stick in your mind forever. One such face that I always looked out for at the Kaveri counter, was that of an old Chinese woman who worked there as a cleaner. And there as I sat waiting, she came to clean my table and picked up the plates (left by the previous customer). As she bent, she looked and smiled at me. There was something different in her smile. It was an extra friendly and a very warm smile. Like as if she knew me from years.
“Hello. I am seeing you after so many months!” she said, in her broken Chinese English! I was startled!!! Was she really speaking to me??? She must’ve mistaken me for someone else, I thought.  With a confused look and a smile on my face, I barely replied a YES. Somehow she must’ve recognised my expression.  
“Don’t worry. I see you here quite frequently. Sometimes you are accompanied with your mother. Is she not here with you, this time? I also remember last time you wore a black coloured dress!!!”
It took me a while to recollect what I was wearing the last time when I was travelling. But YES she was right!!! OH MY GOD!!! This lady actually remembered me and my mother! I just didn’t believe it!
After the pleasant shock, I was not in that state of asking her much, but I did ask her one thing. “How come you remember me so well?” She replied, “Your smile! The warm smile that you gave me everytime you looked at me, made me remember you!!!”
My next trip, I carried a gift for her. As I didn’t know her name, I had to describe her at the counter. But that day, she had not come to work. I was told she was 90 years old and had taken ill.
I still have her gift with me and my eyes are still searching for her on the airport. Who knows when I might encounter her, again!!! So, believe it or not, a smile is enough to start a conversation and make a place in anyone’s heart!!! Keep SMILING always and get ready for surprises being thrown your way!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. ya i remember you narrating this incident in Deval Karthik Ma'am's class !!!! this incident is one for the memories !!!!! it is these lil moments which atlast add meaning to ones life after all!!! :~)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very thoughtful. :) A warm heart reflects in the smile a person wears.

    ReplyDelete